Ministry of the Deacons: As the number of disciples grew in the early days of the church, the duties of ministering to them required more and more time and the apostles found less and less time to preach the gospel. Their solution was to set aside “men of good report, full of the Spirit and wisdom” to perform some of the duties which had previously fallen upon the apostles.
We believe that deacons were set apart primarily:
- To allow the apostles to concentrate on “prayer and the ministry of the Word.”
- To relieve the apostles of certain routine and ordinary duties.
- To improve the effectiveness of the apostles in their ministry.
- To assist in the ministry of the believer.
- To lead and encourage members in obedience to Jesus Christ.
Therefore, First Baptist Church charges the deacons with the following general responsibilities:
- To share with the pastor and ministerial staff the responsibility of promoting and upholding a high level of spirituality among our membership.
- To encourage, support, and uphold the pastor and other ministers in their ministries.
- To serve and minister to the membership.